Thursday, October 14, 2004

Chapter II - in which Adele tells a little bit more about what's been said (and then erased from the internet) about her

A name doesn't say much about a person. It's often chosen by one's parents either because they really like it and it means something or simply because they've run out of ideas. But I got to choose my name and I happen to like it. It's funny. I'm just born and I'm already in my mid-twenties. My double likes my name too. In fact, it was her suggestion. She says this name sounds like a poet's name and that's something she'd really like to be.

ADÈLE f
Usage: French
Pronounced: a-DEL
French form of ADELA

ADELA f
Usage: English
Pronounced: a-DEL-a
Originally a short form of names beginning with the Germanic element adal meaning "noble". Saint Adela was a 7th-century Frankish princess who founded a monastery at Pfazel in France. This name was also borne by a daughter of William the Conqueror.
Behind the name
Adele was all alone when she founded a convent. She had no one. But I do have someone. Noelle, my dog. It's just a coincidence that "Noelle" means "born in Christmas" and that Adele's feast day is on Christma's eve. She sits at my feet and make them warm when it's cold. I'd like her to have sweaters I'd knit. But I don't know how to knit. I've tried once, a long time ago. I knitted my father a scarf. He never wore it and I was forever disappointed. Noelle has the cutest small wet nose ever. Say "hi", Noelle. She's now looking at me curiously.