Thursday, February 24, 2005

Chapter IX , in which Adele thinks of selfishness

"I'm not in love with you anymore.", he said.
"Please, don't leave me. I still love you", was the reply.

If you're unhappy and I love you so much as I claim I do, then I'm unhappy. Sympathetically unhappy. Im some languages, compassion is the best word to describe it: I can feel what you're feeling, I'm there, right where you are. Yesterday I watched The Sea Inside. In case you don't know, it's been nominated for best foreign picture. And that's what I've been thinking about ever since. How we don't actually connect. How we are caught in our own particular needs and sensations. So, do us both a favor and walk out the door for good.

Instead, we are all like characters from Closer, asking for details we know will only hurt us even more, hoping that somehow pain will erase the memories of happiness. Starting can be difficult, but we find it easier if we are hurt. I don't think my double has ever cried this much watching a movie. I don't think a movie could make someone feel so pathetic. It was awful for her. She saw herself portrayed on the screen. Some of the people around her were laughing. I guess they thought "Hey, it's Julia Roberts, it must be funny after all". She shushed them. She's like that.

That night I too cried. I couldn't bear to live inside her and not be able to make her feel any better.