Saturday, March 19, 2005

Chapter XII, in which Adele admits she's never read Proust in her life

Apud. I learned that when you want to quote an author of whom you have never actually read a book, but you still want to quote something that's in another book by some other guy, you should have a foot note saying apud right after the page and the other guy's name and book title.

I have never read Proust's books I'm afraid to admit. (I've just looked back, moving my head to take a peek on Noelle. She's so quiet, lying on my bed resting her head on my pillow. It's nice to have a dog like her, she's always around me). I fear I'll feel stupid and ignorant and I don't think people put themselves in situations where they'll feel stupid and ignorant on purpose, which could be even worse, since it's hard to defend ourselves from embarassament in unexpected situations.

I've just read Kiss and Tell, by Alain de Botton. He's a philosopher and he writes novels where there's some philosophy in them, but in such a light way you don't even realize you're actually reading about it. I feel pretty ignorant whenever I read one of his books, but I keep reading them because, you see, ignorance is bliss (and I meant it both as a joke and not). Anyways, I found the Proust questionnaire in this book I've mentioned.
Your favourite virtue:
Your favourite qualities in a man:
Your favourite qualities in a woman:
What you appreciate most about your friends:
Your principal fault:
Your favourite occupation:
Your chief characteristic:
Your idea of happiness:
Your idea of misery:
How would you like to be?
Your favourite colour and flower:
Your favorite bird:
In not yourself, who would you be?
Where would you like to live?
Your favourite prose authors:
Your favourite poets:
Your favourite painters and composers:
Your favourite heroes in real life:
Your favourite heroines in real life:
Your favourite heroes in fiction:
Your favourite heroines in fiction:
Your favourite names:
What characters in history do you most dislike:
How would you want to die?
What is your present state of mind:
For what fault have you the most toleration:
The flower you like best

Of course my original intention was to answer it, but it's awfully cold tonight and I'd rather be under the blankets. I think I'll let Noelle under the blankets. She makes my feet warm.